You have got to try this recipe for Pumpkin Spice Twinkies! They’re way easier than you think to make. And if you don’t have a Twinkie pan, you can just use a muffin tin instead. They won’t bring back junk food nostalgia, but you’ll still get to enjoy this protein packed indulgent treat!
Check out the macro breakdown - they’re basically a balanced meal all in one tasty package. They're perfect to grab-and-go in the AM with a cup of piping hot coffee. Here's the details:
Macros per Twinkie: 226 cals // 7 g fat // 23 g carbs // 19 g protein
Macros per Twinkie with Filling: 266 cals // 9 g fat // 25 g carbs // 23 g protein
Pumpkin Spice Twinkies with Vanilla Ricotta Filling
Get nostalgic with this protein packed recipe for Pumpkin Spice Twinkies with Vanilla Ricotta Filling!
Serving Size: 1 TwinkiePrep time:
- 1 1/2 cups Birch Benders Pumpkin Spice Paleo Pancake Mix
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup vanilla whey protein powder
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Filling: 8 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese + 1 scoop vanilla protein powder + 1 tablespoons Swerve granulated sugar + 1 teaspoon vanilla extract/li>
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray Twinkie pan (or muffin tin) with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine well with a spoon or spatula.
- Fill each Twinkie (or muffin) tin with batter to about 2/3rd of the way full.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Allow to cool for 2 minutes in the pan. Then transfer to a wire rack until completely cooled before filling.
- For the filling: combine the ingredients in a small bowl with a spatula until well combined. Using a ziploc with the end cut off or a piping bag, pipe the filling into the center of the Twinkies (muffins). Store in the fridge.