I don't really have a name for this one. It's basically Empanada filling but without the pastry pouch. Or Picadillo without the tomato, olives, and vegetables. It all started when I took out a lb. of lean ground beef from the freezer to defrost, and I was trying to figure out a tasty Ground Beef Recipe for Dinner. I wanted to just make some ground beef and eat it with shredded cheese on top and a salad on the side - nothing too crazy. After searching online for ideas, I came across an Empanada recipe (which I cannot find now) that looked pretty simple. My version is even more simple as I cut out some of the spices that were used. What I ended up with was a meal packed with flavor, high in protein and low in sugar.
Personally, I like my ground beef on top of a salad or topped with shredded Mexican style cheese. You could also serve it with Brown Rice or Quinoa - which is what I did for my fiance. For a kick, add 1/2 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper and a side of ice cold water (for your burning mouth!).
What is your favorite way to use ground beef?
Easy Taco Meat
makes 4-6 servings - prep time: 5 minutes - cook time: 10 min
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or ground turkey breast
- 1 medium chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Heat pan with olive oil. Saute onions for about 2 minutes or until translucent.
- Add ground beef and cook until brown.
- Add salt, pepper, and paprika. Cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Serve hot with Quinoa, brown rice, or topped on a salad or with shredded cheese.