Who doesn’t love French Toast!? How is that even a question. And these French Toast Roll-Ups amp up the awesome with little effort. Plus, at less than 300 calories per filling serving, you can feel good about your breakfast without the guilt.
They’re so versatile and easy - you can even have little hands get involved. Put together a selection of yummy fillings including fruits, nuts, nut butters, cream cheese, and even chocolate chips. Let them pick their toppings and if they’re old enough, let them actually do the work. Roll ‘em up, let ‘em soak and then throw them on the griddle. Cannot be easier!
The ones I made below have almond butter, strawberries and banana as the filling. They’re topped with sugar-free pancake syrup. But feel free to roll yours in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar immediately after cooking. Or toss in some chocolate chips, because everybody loves chocolate!
What’s your winning combo?
French Toast Roll-Ups
So versatile yet so full of nutrition and flavor!
Serving Size: Make 1 servingPrep time:
- 2 slices light whole grain bread or bread of choice
- 1 tablespoon whipped cream cheese (softened) or favorite nut butter (I used Almond butter here)
- 1/4 cup fruit of choice (I used bananas and straberries here)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon butter or nonstick cooking spray
- sugar-free maple syrup or cinnamon sugar blend (optional)
- Cut crust off bread. Using a rolling pin, flatten the bread.
- Place cream cheese or nut butter along one end of the bread, then top with diced berries. Roll up the bread.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and salt. Soak the roll ups for about 30 seconds. Turn them and soak another 30 seconds.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, melt 1-teaspoon butter or coat with cooking spray. Add the soaking roll ups and cook until golden, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- If using cinnamon sugar blend, immediately roll in cinnamon sugar before serving. Otherwise dip in sugar free maple syrup and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts per serving: calories 291, total fats 14 g, saturated fat 2 g, trans fat 0 g, protein 21 g, sodium 381 mg, total carbohydrate 26 g, fiber 7 g, sugar 6 g