These adorable Ghoulish Apple Cider Donuts are the perfect snack bite to go with a warm cup of coffee on a cool crisp day. And at only 25 calories for the mini and 67 for a medium donut - you can’t go wrong!
Ghoulish Apple Cider Donuts
These frightfully adorable Apple Cider Donuts are only 25 calories for the mini and 67 for the regular!
Serving Size: As many as you wantPrep time:
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider; cooked down to about 1 cup
- 2 cups Kodiak Cakes all-purpose baking flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda/li>
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup Swerve sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt, at room temperature
- candy eyeballs for decorating
- Frosting: 3 tablespoons part-skim ricotta cheese + 1 tablespoon nonfat milk + 1 packet Splenda or your favorite sweetener
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray donut pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Reduce the apple cider in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring the apple cider to a simmer, and stir occasionally. You will want to reduce the apple cider to about 1 cup; about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, apple pie spice, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the butter, egg, brown sugar, granulated sugar, greek yogurt, and vanilla extract together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, add the reduced apple cider, and whisk everything until smooth and combined. Batter will be slightly thick.
- Put batter into a large zippered baggie. Cut a small hole in the corner. Pipe the batter into your donut pan, filling about halfway.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes (9-10 minutes if using a mini pan) or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow donuts to cool for about 2 minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine ingredients for the frosting with a whisk until smooth. Dip each donut in the frosting. Allow to dry to set. Top with 2 candy eyeballs.