Lately I've been having insane cravings for something baked. Something more than just baked, more like something indulgent and satisfying like a scone, cupcake, cookies, birthday cake or all of the above (minus the calories of course!). Then I remembered an old recipe I put together for Paleo Banana Nut Protein Bars and how amazingly moist and delicious they were. That gave me an idea - I decided to recreate those bars in another flavor - introduce Paleo Protein Brownies ---> YUM!! - is all I can say!
I swear to you, Paleo Protein Brownies are completely Paleo. Though I'm not sure how much like the cavemen we can truly eat considering the advances in technology and the fact that none of the food we eat is anything like the genetic makeup of the plants and animals that existed centuries ago. People like to eat like Cavemen yet they continue to make things like Paleo Bread which in itself is an oxymoron considering Cavemen didn't make bread - ever. I'm sure they didn't eat brownies either but I made them for me you today.
These brownies are grain-free - just my kind of brownie! They've got healthy fats, lean proteins and fruit! But no carbs like grains or sugar, and no butter or oil. Serve them with an ice-cold glass of Almond Milk and you're good to go! Enjoy!
Paleo Protein Brownies
makes 9 servings - prep time: 15 minutes - cook time: 15 min
- 1/2 mashed banana
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 3 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder (for baking)
- 1 packet sugar-free/fat-free cheesecake pudding mix
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Mix all ingredients
- Pour batter into greased 9 x 9 inch brownie pan
- Bake for 15-16 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean