Another easy breakfast favorite -- Overnight Bran Oats are a versatile healthy option for any day of the week! This recipe is so easy even your kids can make it. All you need is some time the night before to prep your oats and a refrigerator to keep 'em cold. Wake up to a fluffy and filling meal that's loaded with lean protein, complex carbs and healthy fats. The perfect balance of nutrients to help you tackle the day!
The reason I went with oat bran as opposed to the usual oatmeal is because oat bran tends to be a bit more hearty than oatmeal. That means it's perceived to be more filling. And it's got more fiber - an added bonus.
You can really do whatever you'd like with your overnight oats. Top it with blueberries or strawberries for a splash of sweetness and antioxidants; or throw in a dash of pumpkin pie spice for a fall-inspired treat. It's totally up to you and the options are endless. For this recipe I kept it simple - walnuts, cinnamon, vanilla protein powder and some Splenda for sweetness.
What do you like to put in your oatmeal? I love trying others ideas so please share in the comments below!
makes 1 serving -- prep time: 5 minutes -- cook time: none
- 1/3 cup dry oat bran
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 2-4 tablespoons nonfat milk (or nondairy milk)
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- 1 ounce walnut pieces
- Combine the oat bran, protein powder, cinnamon, Splenda and salt in a small bowl.
- Add the Greek yogurt and milk and stir well to combine.
- Cover and place in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, stir oats and add more milk if you like a thinner consistency. Top with walnuts and enjoy cold or hot!