Did you know that Biscottis and Mandel Bread are nearly one in the same? It's the same yummy cookie with two separate names. In my family we know Biscotti as Mandel Bread. And I didn't discover they were equal until I set out to make my grandmother's favorite snack healthier.
This recipe could not be easier. Dump the ingredients in a bowl. Combine with a mixer or your hands. Form logs, bake, slice, then bake again - voila! Super crunchy (and low-cal) Biscotti or Mandel bread - whatever you want to call it. Either way, these cookies go down easy on their own or dipped in a cup of hot coffee or cold milk.
That cup of coffee gets an upgrade when you enjoy it with a low-cal crunchy Almond Biscotti. All of a sudden 'the usual' becomes exciting again!
Serving Size: 1 CookiePrep time:
- 2 cups whole-wheat all-purpose flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 whole egg, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Add the eggs, almond extract, and butter to the flour and mix on medium for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the almonds until combined well.
- Transfer the dough to your lined baking sheet. Form the dough into two long flat logs.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until slightly browned and firm. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Then slice the log into ¼-inch thick slices. Arrange the cookies on two baking sheets. Return the cookies to the oven and bake until lightly toasted, another 12-14 minutes. Allow to cool before storing in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts per cookie: calories 86, total fats 3 g, saturated fat 1 g, trans fat 0 g, protein 2 g, sodium 103 mg, total carbohydrate 14 g, fiber 1 g, sugar 6 g