Can you tell I’m totally loving Halloween this year? It’s been so much fun to come up with healthy recipes that go along with the holiday spooky spirit. And these adorable Jack-O-Lantern Sloppy Joe Stuffed Peppers fit perfectly in the lineup! Speaking of lineups - what’s on your dinner menu this week? Add this super simple recipe that your whole family will love.
Bonus points: this recipe is 100% grain and gluten-free - score! Serve ‘em up by themselves, with your fave cooked grains, some whole grain toast or roasted/baked potatoes. Little secret - we’re addicted to baked potatoes in my house, so that was our side when I made these the other night.
Each Jack-O-Lantern is packed with 23 grams of protein, 5 grams of fiber and only 205 calories. Can you say #momwin?
Sloppy Joe Stuffed Peppers
These Jack-O-Lantern Sloppy Joe Stuffed Peppers are only 205 calories per serving and packed with 23 grams of protein!
Serving Size: 1 stuffed pepper; Makes 5 servingsPrep time:
- 5 medium bell peppers, any color
- 1 pound 93% lean ground beef
- 2 cups no salt added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can carrots and peas, drained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcetershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut thin slice from stem end of each bell pepper to remove top of the pepper. Remove seeds and membranes; rinse peppers. In a 4-quart Dutch oven or saucepan, add enough water to cover the peppers. Heat to boiling; add peppers. Cook about 2 minutes, then drain. Set aside to cool.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the meat to the pan, breaking it up with a spatula as it cooks. Season the meat with salt and pepper and cook until it browns, and then add the onion and vegetables. Reduce heat to medium and add red wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce, continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and paste and stir to combine.
- Carefully fill the peppers with sloppy joe meat until full. Stand the bell peppers up in an ungreased 8-inch square glass-baking dish. Pour any remaining sauce over the peppers.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 10 minutes. Uncover and bake about 10-15 minutes longer or until peppers are tender. Allow to cool before serving.
Nutrition Facts: calories 205, total fats 5 g, saturated fat 2 g, trans fat 0 g, protein 23 g, sodium 498 mg, total carbohydrate 19 g, fiber 5 g, sugar 8 g